Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Problems

The weaving was going well until today and is almost finished
but now the warp threads at both sides are braking one after the other.
This is not funny any more, so I might cut it of now and hoping that the scarf is long enough. I think it is but will only know for sure when I unwind the woven cloth. I have another 40cm of warp left that I could have woven. But not with so many threads braking. I think this yarn has a very loose twist and that this is giving the problem now. The sett at the side is a bit tighter than the rest of the Tencel yarn giving a nice edge to the scarf. This worked on the silk/black Tencel scarf and it did work on this one too, up to now.

3 comments:

  1. I've had the same thing happen with some of my tencel yarn. One of my suppliers produces yarn with half the number of twists than the other, but it has much better shine! I've found that doubling up the floating selvedges can be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynnette, thanks for that comment.
    We do not have a lot of Tencel available here in Holland. I can only think of one supplier and I don't know where they get their Tencel from. The black Tencel had a better twist and no problems. I would have thought that black would have been weaker through the dye.
    I don't have a floating selvedge on this as I'm weaving tabby with the Tencel. But it's a closer sett on the first inch or so on each side. I'll have another look at it today and than decide what my action will be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been able to escape warp breakage at the selvedges. I don't like a long warp for that reason - so sorry. It's very pretty.

    ReplyDelete