Friday, April 11, 2014

dyeing

Bought some yarn from an estate sale, so you never know if it is what they say it is. It was sold as 100% wool, looked and felt ok. But when dyeing the yarn it shows up as not 100% wool, as a white thread is visible. I had some acid dye stock that I had made in 2010. Read that it will only last about 1 year but had to find out if it would still dye the yarn. It didn't do very well......
In the end I used undiluted stock directly on the yarn and heated in the microwave. I used several mixes of the 3 primary colours. This is a very pale version of what I had in mind. Was as well that I made very small skeins of 10m for a trial dye run. I will have to make new stock solution now so that I can dye warp and weft yarn for my next project. But seeing the white thread, is making me hesitant to put in all the work when I might not get the end result I was hoping for.

5 comments:

  1. I think the undyed white thread makes it interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon, I agree that it might add something. However, I want to weave with 8 colours and I think the white thread will take away some of the interaction of these colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pastels are lovely, even if they aren't what you had in mind. I'm sure you'll find a way to use them for something beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sandra. I like them too, but not for what I have in mind. I might now look at my yarn stash, to see what I have in colored yarns

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dying is not something I do very much of Margreet but every time I do it I learn something. Sorry it didn't turn out as you hoped but at least you have some yarn that is interesting!

    ReplyDelete