Monday, June 08, 2009

Finished scarves + yarn for next project

Above is the striped scarfand this the blocked one.
I'm happy with the end result now that they are wet finished.

Time for a new project:
I will be using these yarns.
The yarn is a mix of wool, silk and cashmere (60-25-15%) that was sent to me by Doni to try out this yarn. Oh so soft yarn! And I love the colours she chose. They remind me of geraniums.
I have an idea from Sharon Alderman's book Mastering Weave Structures that I like to pursue.

5 comments:

  1. So glad I found your blog! The scarves look lovely and I your new project looks exciting. I can't wait to see what you weave next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I am weaving wool, which is rarely, I always have to tell myself, "this is NOT what it's going to look like after it's wet finished!" Wet finishing makes a big difference on silk, not so much on the look, though, as on the feel. On wool it makes a big difference in both look and feel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peg
    The scarves were mostly cotton (all warp) and weft was 50/50 wool/cotton. I guess because of the 50% wool in the weft, you are right about the wet finishing making a difference in look and feel. I'm about to go and surprise my friend with the scarves. She can choose the one she likes best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I vote for the block scarf! Altough they are both beautiful - the colour combination is a favourite of mine!

    About next draft: I tried brighton honeycomb when doing the organics project, and I recommend you sample it because you need to see the three-dimension effect once wet finished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doni, thanks for the sampling recommendation. I did not want to "waste" any of the lovely yarn on sampling but I can see the need for it if I pursue this draft.

    ReplyDelete