Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Another sample of curves

I'm still playing with my warp. I like to share one sample showing the difference in treadling in the same tie-up.
Here is the draft made in Fiberworks. I've added numbers 1 to 4 in so that I can show the different parts of this sample in photos below. Numbers 1 and 3 are their opposites, number 1 is woven from 1 to 24 (to the right) and number 3 is woven from 24 to 1 (to the left).
Numbers 2 and 4 are woven zigzag.
Number 2 is a zigzag from left to right and back again (24 to 1 to 24 to 1) but in number 4 the zigzags goes halfway, turning at 12.
I hope the drawing makes it easier to understand.
I like how part 4 has come out.




This is the woven sample, number 1 at bottom and 4 at the top. And I've cut them in parts to better show the differences (I hope)
Part 1 and 3:
Part 2 and 4:
The last photo is part 4, where the zigzag went halfway (or broken) like this:
You can see that the figures are different from part 3 where the zigzag went from left to right and back again like this:
The tie-up looks like this:
It is fun to discover that you can have long floats in the weaving and that it is ok! I still have some warp left to go on playing.

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you're having a great time sampling. What do you plan on weaving with these unique twills?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynnette, I've been thinking about this. At the moment I'm enjoying this loom on loan and its possibilities by going through Bonnie Inouy's book. Seeing the samples I think it would make nice fabric for a jacket as both sides are so different. One being more weft faced and the back more warp faced.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you are having a great time exploring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's lovely to weave a curve, these are especially nice. sadly, it's almost impossible to weave on only four harnesses.

    ReplyDelete