Sunday, April 07, 2013

warping

Thought I had mastered the warping wheel with the first warp. Did I now? I moved the rollers to the inner position as I wanted the 2 yards setting (the outer side gives 3 yards). But in doing that I forgot to move the cross part to move too :-(
Coming at the end of this section, the cross could not be freed. As I needed all the yarn from this pack I needed to rewarp the yarn. Easier said then done as the warp threads are cut, so each warp length in that section is a single thread. I untangled it all and started rewarping with the single threads by knotting them together sometimes. Did not make any pictures as I was to concentrated on getting it right!
Here a picture of how it should look.
The warp is on so now the threading can begin :-)
It was so much easier with the warping beam where it is now (I did move it to the top position before I started warping). I'm glad I used the cotton yarn for using the warping wheel for a 2nd time. It has given me confidence to use it with more delicate yarns next time. This was only a short 4 yard warp but it was an exercise to me. I have to see how this warp will be weaving up to find out if I warped well as I found with some sections that I had a loose thread at the side. And how will that work with finer threads when that happens. I'll find out soon enough.
I can see the gain in using the warping wheel by making longer warps.

Outside the sun is out and temperatures are much more like they should be this time of year. Looking good!

1 comment:

  1. following your adventures closely in case i want to go that way

    ReplyDelete